The Education Hub has partnered with UK-based Evidence-Based Education (EBE) to bring New Zealand teachers some outstanding research-informed professional development opportunities. The first of these is Assessment Essentials, a 10-week online course starting at the beginning of Term 2, that helps make students’ learning more visible and maximises the power of assessment as a learning tool.
Bringing you world-class evidence-based professional development
How to secure a free place
We are delighted to be able to offer 50 free places on this course (maximum of two per school). Simply tick the box on the application form and you will be considered. If you are not selected for a free place, you are not committed to undertaking the course.
10-week online course – starting Term 2, 2020
Led by Prof Stuart Kime, in conjunction with international experts, this course follows a micro-lesson structure, designed to fit around the busy timetable of teachers and requires a commitment of around 1.5 hours per week.
Its key goals are to: (1) help make students’ learning more visible and, thereby, increase confidence in the dependability of decisions made in the classroom and beyond; and (2) help maximise the power of assessment as a learning tool.
Week 1: Introduction and perspectives on assessment
Week 2: Making the invisible (learning) visible
Week 3: Harnessing assessment as a learning event
Week 4: Intent, implementation and impact
Week 5: Enhancing your assessment practice
Week 6: The power and potential of feedback & delivering it effectively
Week 7: Fairness in assessment
Week 8: Theory into practice: selecting and designing assessments
Week 9: Theory into practice: selecting and designing assessments (pt.2)
Week 10: Embedding great assessment in your classroom
Assessment Essentials will:
- Deepen pedagogical content knowledge of the fundamental underlying principles and practices of great assessment, no matter the subject or phase of education;
- Help to reduce unnecessary workload and increase the effectiveness of classroom practice by honing the skill of evidence-informed decision-making;
- Guide teachers to question existing practices;
- Help link assessment with curriculum and pedagogy, to improve student outcomes;
- Reframe the value of assessment, offering case studies and advice from other school leaders;
- Help teachers remove the guesswork from teaching through use of more dependable information;
- Help teachers to better understand the impact of their teaching on students’ learning, so that they can make better decisions about what happens next; and
- Maximise the power of assessment as a tool for learning.
20% discount for Hub users
Apply now for one of 50 free places, or pay the special discounted rate of just $150 per person
About Evidence Based
EBE was founded in 2014 with a mission to help develop the quality of teaching in schools around the world by drawing on the best available research evidence in areas that make a difference to student outcomes. They have worked with schools, districts and governments around the world and trained more than 9000 educators and policy makers. They work as a ‘plug-in’ organisation which seeks partnerships with like-minded individuals and groups who understand their local contexts.
What people are saying about Assessment Essentials
"Signing up to Assessment Essentials has had a positive impact on my day-to-day teaching. I am making better assessment-related decisions in my lessons and taking a lead role in assessment in my school."
Nikki BoothAssessment Advisor
"I would recommend Assessment Essentials to every teacher"
"This course is a refreshing and welcome opportunity to question, analyze, attack our current assessment practices with the object of refining them or completely re-designing them."